Follow Us:
Navigate to facebook Navigate to twitter Navigate to pinterest Navigate to linkedIn Navigate to Instagram
Log in or Register as new user  

About Us

Looking back at 75 years in business

1933

David A. Skilman, president of the Easton Hospital Board of Trustees, formed the Easton Hospital Association. The association's prepayment plan provided 21 days of hospital service without charge and a 25 percent discount on all hospital bills for an additional seven weeks. The yearly charge for the coverage was $10.

1938

Representatives of the Carlisle, Harrisburg and Polyclinic Hospitals and the Dauphin County Medical Society launched Capital Hospital Service, offering prepaid hospital expense protection to Harrisburg area residents. In that year, Capital Hospital Service enrolled 7,500 members and paid $6,200 in claims. Over the next 30 years, the Plan expanded its service area to include 19 counties.

1939

The Easton Hospital Association secured a charter of incorporation to become the Hospital Service Plan of the Lehigh Valley. The organization later became Blue Cross of the Lehigh Valley and moved its headquarters to Allentown.

1965

Capital Hospital Service became Capital BlueCross.

1985

Capital BlueCross merged with Blue Cross of the Lehigh Valley. After the merger, the Capital BlueCross service area expanded to 21 counties.

1990

The company relocated its headquarters to Elmerton Avenue in Susquehanna Township just outside the city of Harrisburg.

1996

Capital BlueCross served 1.4 million members who received more than $1 billion in health care benefits.

1998

Capital BlueCross celebrated its 60th year of providing affordable health care coverage to residents of Central Pennsylvania and the Lehigh Valley.

2001

Pennsylvania Blue Shield terminates the joint operating agreement with Capital BlueCross, thus ending a nearly 40 year partnership that provided health care coverage to consumers in Central Pennsylvania and the Lehigh Valley.

2002

Capital BlueCross moves forward in offering quality health care coverage products to residents in the 21-county service area in Central Pennsylvania and the Lehigh Valley.

2005

Capital BlueCross celebrates 12 years of its CHIP program for kids. Its first enrollment was on May 1, 1993. By 2005 more than 87,000 children were insured by its CHIP program.

2008

Capital BlueCross expands its coverage by adding a dental plan to its product choices.

2012

Capital BlueCross opens its first one-of-a-kind nationally health and wellness retail store, Capital Blue.

2013

Capital BlueCross celebrates 75 years of caring for the health of its communities.