Capital BlueCross urges everyone to consult their doctor, update shots during National Immunization Awareness Month
HARRISBURG, Pa. (Aug. 1, 2012) – August is National Immunization Awareness Month and Capital BlueCross is advising that children and adults of all ages are up to date with their shots.
“Immunizations are not just for infants,” said Dr. Rick Hammer, Capital BlueCross Senior Medical Director. “At every age, it’s important to discuss the immunizations you need with your primary care doctor.”
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) points out that immunizations are key in protecting everyone from serious diseases and illnesses. Some of the recommended shots by age include:
- Young Children: Measles, polio, chicken pox, and hepatitis
- Pre-teens: Tetanus, diphtheria, whooping cough and meningitis
- All adults: Tetanus every 10 years
- Adults 65 years old and older: Pneumonia
Throughout August, Capital BlueCross is raising awareness about the importance of immunizations through its website, company newsletters, posters and collateral materials.
Doctor Hammer says Capital BlueCross concurs with the CDC about the main reasons why everyone should be properly immunized:
- Many of the viruses and bacteria that cause these illnesses still exist, waiting for the next victim.
- Vaccine-preventable diseases are still common in other countries. Travel to and from these countries increases the risk of contracting the diseases.
- Without vaccines, epidemics of many preventable diseases could return, causing unnecessary illnesses, disability and death.
More information about immunizations and Capital BlueCross can be found by going to www.capbluecross.com. Capital BlueCross has a long history of offering healthy tips and pointers, like raising awareness about immunizations, to its customers and the community to help reduce cost, increase quality and improve satisfaction. Capital BlueCross is the leading health insurer in its region, providing health insurance coverage to residents in central Pennsylvania and the Lehigh Valley.
The company is committed to making health insurance simple for its customers through all stages of life by offering nationally acclaimed customer service and a full range of innovative benefit programs for groups and individuals at competitive prices.
By establishing a culture of caring, Capital BlueCross constantly strives to do more to deliver more for the men, women and children who depend on the company for their health insurance needs.
Capital BlueCross has been providing medical value to the people and communities of central Pennsylvania and the Lehigh Valley for more than 70 years and employs over 1,800 people in the region.
Headquartered in Harrisburg, Pa., Capital BlueCross is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.