Capital BlueCross offers five simple nutrition tips
that can make a big difference in your health
Insurer encourages renewed focus on healthy
eating during National Nutrition Month
HARRISBURG, Pa. (March 18, 2015) – Capital BlueCross this month, National Nutrition Month, is reminding residents in Central Pennsylvania and the Lehigh Valley that making even small changes to their eating habits can vastly improve their health.
“Even just making one or two minor modifications to your diet every month can impact your overall health within a year,” said Amanda Dolan, Capital BlueCross registered dietitian. “Start by setting feasible objectives that you are comfortable with and that you will commit to. Before long, you will reap the benefits of living healthier.”
Capital BlueCross offers these five nutrition tips to make small changes that can make a big difference in overall health:
- Eat a balanced breakfast. Eat a balanced breakfast every day, whether it is something quick like string cheese and whole grain crackers, or something more elaborate like eggs and fruit salad. What’s important is adding a good source of protein and fiber to your morning diet.
- Snack often. Try snacking on nutritious pick-me-ups throughout the day. Eating every 3-4 hours can keep your metabolism working well. Think of snacks as a nutritious boost to your diet. Greek yogurt, nuts, hummus and veggies, fruit, string cheese, and nut butters are small yet powerful snacks.
- Eat more vegetables. Eat more vegetables than you do meat or starches for lunch and dinner. Half of your plate should be non-starchy vegetables like broccoli, green beans, salad, cauliflower, carrots, or brussels sprouts. Aim for a quarter of your plate to be lean proteins like fish, chicken, tofu, and lean red meats. Fill the last quarter of your plate with fiber-rich starches like potatoes, brown rice, corn, and beans.
- Clean out your pantry. Get rid of foods that provide temptation but do not provide your body the nutrition it needs. Processed, high fat, high sugar, and high salt food products can be tempting, but will not provide essential nutrients. Pack your pantry with foods that have limited ingredients and provide nutrition.
- Meal plan and grocery shop. Make a meal plan together with your family and only shop for items that are needed. If an item is not on your list, even if you have a coupon for it, you do not need it. You will save time and money!
For more information on better nutrition and healthy living, go to capbluecross.com. Nutrition experts are also available in person at the Capital Blue store in Center Valley, Pa., or you can follow the Capital Blue blog at capitalbluestore.com, which features fresh and original stories each week on nutrition, fitness, wellness, area events and healthy recipes.
About Capital BlueCross
Capital BlueCross, headquartered in Harrisburg, Pa., is the leading health insurer in central Pennsylvania and the Lehigh Valley. For more than 75 years, the company has provided products and services to individuals, families and employers that provide peace of mind and promote good health. Today, Capital BlueCross continues to evolve, innovating new ways to create an even healthier future for customers with more choice, greater convenience, and better quality of care. Among the company’s innovations is Capital Blue, a one-of-a-kind health and wellness retail store, where consumers can go for in-person service, health and nutrition consultations, fitness classes and other services that inspire healthy living. Capital BlueCross is an independent licensee of the BlueCross BlueShield Association. For more information, visit capbluecross.com or capitalbluestore.com.