Effective: February 19, 2014
This privacy statement applies to www.capbluecross.com owned and operated by Capital BlueCross (“We”, “Us”, “Our”). Capital BlueCross respects your right to privacy. When you visit this site, we may collect information on two different levels about your visit:
- Anonymous statistics collected as you browse the site
- Personally identifiable information you knowingly give us
We want you to be aware of how we collect and handle information on our web site, as well as the choices available to you regarding our use of your personally identifiable information and how you can access and update this information. Click on the topics below for details on our Internet Privacy Policies:
- What it means to me for Capital BlueCross to be a licensee of the TRUSTe Privacy Program
- What information does this web site collect?
- What happens when I provide personally identifiable information on this web site?
- Do you sell or give my information to non-Capital BlueCross companies?
- Do you accommodate links to other sites?
- What does Capital BlueCross do with non-personally identifiable information collected automatically?
- Does Capital BlueCross use the information provided online to profile its customers?
- How you can update or correct your information
- Security issues
- Changes to this Privacy Statement
What it means to me for Capital BlueCross to be a licensee of the TRUSTe Privacy Program.
Capital BlueCross has been awarded TRUSTe's Privacy Seal signifying that this privacy statement and practices have been reviewed by TRUSTe for compliance with TRUSTe's program requirements including transparency, accountability and choice regarding the collection and use of your personally identifiable information. The TRUSTe program covers only information that is collected through this Web site, www.capbluecross.com.
TRUSTe's mission, as an independent third party, is to accelerate online trust among consumers and organizations globally through its leading privacy Trustmark and innovative trust solutions. If you have questions or complaints regarding our privacy statement or practices, please contact us via e-mail. If you are not satisfied with our response you can contact TRUSTe here.
What information does this web site collect?
Capital BlueCross collects personally identifiable information such as name, address, E-mail address and ID number, when you knowingly provide it to us.
Specifically, during registration, members must include Name, Date Of Birth, E-mail Address, Telephone Number, Mobile Number, Member ID, last four numbers of Social Security Number and Group ID. Name, Date of Birth, Member ID, last four numbers of Social Security Number and Group ID are used to verify member status. E-mail address and Telephone Number are used to contact you regarding the registration process. Mobile number is used to send you text message alerts if you wish to sign up for them. You may opt-out from receiving them at any time by replying “STOP” to the text message or contacting us online.
Our web servers automatically collect statistical information about your visit such as pages visited and which browsers are used to visit our site. None of this information is associated with you as an individual (see information about cookies). We use these statistics to monitor our site's performance and to make it easier for you to use.
What happens when I provide personally identifiable information on this web site?
Any personally identifiable information you give us on this site will be used to provide the product, service or information you have requested or for which you registered.
Do you sell or give my information to non-Capital BlueCross companies?
Your personally identifiable information, including your E-mail address, gathered on this site will not be sold, rented, licensed or otherwise shared with third parties. The only exceptions are the following:
- Capital BlueCross shares information with other member plans of the BCBSA to provide services to its members. Other Blue Plans are not allowed to use personally identifiable information except for the purpose of providing these services. This information includes Name, Date Of Birth, Member ID, Group Id. E-mail Address is NOT shared with other member plans of the BCBSA.
- You specifically authorize Capital BlueCross to share your information with another company.
- We reserve the right to disclose your personally identifiable information as required by law and when we believe that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights and/or comply with a judicial proceeding, court order, or legal process served on our web site.
- Disclosure is necessary to protect the safety of customers, employees, or property.
- Personally identifiable information may be exchanged with companies that directly assist or provide services for Capital BlueCross that are related to user's healthcare program(s).
- If Capital BlueCross is involved in a merger, acquisition, or sale of all or a portion of its assets, you will be notified via email and/or a prominent notice on our web site of any change in ownership or uses of your personally identifiable information, as well as any choices you may have regarding your personally identifiable information.
Capital BlueCross occasionally uses outside shipping companies to ship health kits or other promotional materials. These companies do not retain, store or use personally identifiable information for any secondary purposes. If you provide individually identifiable information at an event Capital BlueCross sponsors with another company, or if you register on a co-sponsored web site, you may be providing the individually identifiable information to the co-sponsor. Review the privacy statement at the event or on the co-sponsored site to learn how the partner uses this information. Be assured that Capital BlueCross uses this information in accordance with this privacy statement.
Do you accommodate links to other sites?
Yes, our site contains links to other web sites. We are not responsible for the content or the privacy practices employed by other sites.
Social Media (Features) and Widgets
Our Web site includes Social Media Features, such as the Facebook Like button and Widgets, such as the Share this button or interactive mini-programs that run on our site. These Features may collect your IP address, which page you are visiting on our site, and may set a cookie to enable the Feature to function properly. Social Media Features and Widgets are either hosted by a third party or hosted directly on our Site. Your interactions with these Features are governed by the privacy statement of the company providing it.
What does Capital BlueCross do with non-personally identifiable information collected automatically?
Web Beacons / Gifs
Our third party advertising partner employs a software technology called clear gifs (a.k.a. Web Beacons/Web Bugs), that help us better manage content on our site by informing us what content is effective. Clear gifs are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies, and are used to track the online movements of Web users. In contrast to cookies, which are stored on a user’s computer hard drive, clear gifs are embedded invisibly on Web pages and are about the size of the period at the end of this sentence. We do not tie the information gathered by clear gifs to our customers’ personally identifiable information.
Analytics / Log Files
As is true of most web sites, we gather certain information automatically and store it in log files. This information includes internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp, and clickstream data. We use this information, which does not identify individual users, to analyze trends, to administer the site, to track users’ movements around the site and to gather demographic information about our user base as a whole. We do not link this automatically-collected data to personally identifiable information.
3rd Party Tracking
Behavioral Targeting / Re-Targeting
Does Capital BlueCross use the information provided online to profile its customers?
No. Capital BlueCross does not combine offline information about you with the online information that you provide on our web site.
How you can update or correct your information.
If you would like to update, correct, and delete any information you have sent us via this web site, please e-mail us. Please indicate in the comments area of the form the changes you would like to make. Customer Service will contact you to confirm with you that the appropriate changes have been made.
At times, we may utilize e-mail to:
- Respond to a site visitor's e-mail.
- Respond to general inquiries, feedback or other inquiries.
- To send information that a visitor has requested.
- To send registered users information related to their healthcare program(s).
- Registered users may opt-in or opt-out of these e-mails. The opt-in and opt-out options that are applicable to your account can be accessed in My E-Mail Settings.
We will retain your information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services. We will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
Capital BlueCross takes precautions to protect its users' personal nonpublic information. When users submit sensitive information to us, the information is protected both online and offline.
When a login page or form asks users to enter sensitive information, that information is protected with encryption software, specifically SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) with high encryption (128 bit level). While on a secure page, such as the general inquiry form, the lock icon on the bottom of the web browser becomes "locked."
While we use SSL encryption to protect sensitive information online, Capital BlueCross also takes steps to protect user information offline. Only employees who need the information to perform a specific job are granted access to personally identifiable information. Capital BlueCross employees must use password-protected screen savers when they leave their desk. When they return, they must re-enter their password to regain access to your information. In addition, all employees are kept up-to-date on Capital BlueCross security and privacy practices.
We have implemented numerous commercially reasonable computer security technology features and practices to prevent the unauthorized release of our access to personal information. The systems that store personally identifiable information are kept in a secure environment. You should be aware that despite these and other security measures we have in place, no security process is completely guaranteed. Therefore, we cannot warrant absolute security.
Changes to this privacy statement
We may update this privacy statement to reflect changes to our information practices. If a material change is made to this privacy statement and/or the way we use our customers' personally identifiable information, then, with the prior written approval from TRUSTe, we will post prominent notice of the nature of such change on our web site prior to the change becoming effective. We encourage you to periodically review this page for the latest information on our privacy practices.
If you have questions or concerns about this privacy statement, please contact us through the information below:
Our mailing address is:
2500 Elmerton Avenue
PO Box 779519
Harrisburg, PA 17177-9519
Our phone number is: 800.962.2242
Our fax number is: 717.541.6915
Contact us via e-mail.